Malayali Who Suffered Burns While Trying To Save Wife At Home In UAE Dies

By SM.17 Feb, 2020




DUBAI: A 32-year-old Indian-origin man has died in the UAE after sustaining severe burn injuries while trying to save his wife from a fire at their home in Abu Dhabi last week, according to a media report.

Anil Ninan, from Kerala, sustained 90 percent burn injuries in the fire on Monday last week, reported the Khaleej Times. His wife Neenu was also injured in the incident but her condition is said to be stable now.

"This is a difficult time for us. His wife Neenu is still recovering at the hospital. She is safe. But, all of us are shocked at his death," a close relative was quoted in the report.

It is suspected a short circuit caused the fire at their home.

"We do not know the exact details. But Neenu first caught fire while she was in the corridor. Anil, who was in the bedroom, ran to his wife and was trying to save her when the flames spread to him," Sojan Thomas, vicar of St Thomas Mar Thoma Church in Ras Al Khaimah, told the daily.

The couple, who have a four-year-old son, was rushed to the Sheikh Khalifa General Hospital in Umm al Quwain and was later shifted to Mafraq hospital in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday for critical care.